Today’s modern conception of love is often focused on affections, sensuality, or fleeting feelings of excitement. Love at first sight, love’s first kiss, falling in and out of love—these phrases pervade our movies, shows, songs, and novels. However, the reality is that these portrayals often miss the mark on what love truly is.
True love is about commitment, sacrifice, and putting someone else’s needs before your own. Popular media would have you believe that love should be concerned with what you can get, but it should really be about what you can give. Giving of your time, money, thoughts, and efforts, even when you don’t want to, is the essence of loving something or someone.
Every year around Valentine’s Day, we often exchange candy, cards, and gifts to show our love to those closest to us. But showing love can go so much deeper. Offering your loved ones long-term financial stability and protection through life insurance is a gift that expresses love on every important level.
Research from the LIFE Foundation polled men and women in the United States to learn what Americans felt about life insurance and love. The study found that more than 88% of women and 77% of men considered life insurance to be an expression of love. Additionally, 55% of those polled reported that they would feel loved if their spouse purchased life insurance for them.
Chocolates and cheesy cards are fine, but when 70% of Americans would gladly trade their Valentine’s Day gift in for greater financial peace of mind, we need to change our mindset when it comes to expressing love.
But what is it about life insurance that would cause most people to trade their precious gifts for it? How does it provide that financial peace of mind that so many seek? How can something like buying a life insurance policy for someone be an expression of love?
Many people shy away from the topic of life insurance. For some, they feel it’s too complicated. Others find it depressing—after all, no one really wants to talk about their own death. But part of the fear we have of death comes from its uncertainty. What will happen to those we love after we pass on?
Life insurance represents a kind of freedom from some of these fears. With a solid plan in place, you can rest easy knowing that, in the event of a sudden and unexpected tragedy, your loved ones will not bear a financial burden in addition to the loss they feel. The benefits of the policy will serve as a parting reminder of your love for those you leave behind, allowing you to care for them long after you have passed.
The problem is, only 189 million Americans, or 59% of the country, enjoy the peace of mind that comes with life insurance. Why would the other 41% refuse to make this expression of love toward their families and loved ones?
You might say that getting a life insurance plan is too expensive. But this is just a myth. The reality is that most people grossly overestimate the cost of a policy. Far from being hundreds of dollars a month for meager coverage, you can purchase a large plan for less than the average person spends on coffee in a week. In fact, a healthy 40-year-old can get $250,000 in coverage for as little as $18 per month.
You might also be hesitant to make a long-term financial commitment, even if it is less than $20 per month. However, life insurance plans can be as flexible or rigid as you would like them to be. Many plans allow you to alter your premium payments and benefit amounts whenever you’d like. Some even allow you to make use of your benefits before your death, allowing you to pay for things like a mortgage, college tuition, and medical expenses. Also, just because it’s a life insurance policy, doesn’t mean it has to be for life. You can always purchase a term plan for as little as 10 years and convert it to a longer policy if your circumstances or goals change.
However, one of the major reasons people avoid getting life insurance as a gift for their loved ones is because it seems too complicated. And this is true, to an extent. There are many different factors that go into buying a policy from choosing an insurance provider, coverage duration, benefit amount, named beneficiaries, additional riders, and more. Not to mention how your health, family history, and even your occupation can affect your premium payments.
But there’s good news. Hiring the services of a qualified life insurance agent can remove the complexities of purchasing and make getting the coverage you need quick, easy, and convenient. Here at LifeQuote, we even offer policies that require no medical exam and can get you approved in mere minutes!
So don’t wait. Let your close friends and family know you care about them this Valentine’s Day with the ultimate expression of love. Contact us today to get in touch with an agent or get a free quote with our free online generator.